Aspect Ratio issue..

Everything related to MakeMKV
lpcmissues

Aspect Ratio issue..

Post by lpcmissues »

I've encountered aspect ratio issues with a few dvds, mainly Battlefield Earth and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Image below basically illustrates my issue..

BlackDragon24

Re: Aspect Ratio issue..

Post by BlackDragon24 »

lpcmissues

Post by lpcmissues »

Thanks for the link, if possible do you think you could outline the instructions on how to rip my dvd without this issue?
paulster

Post by paulster »

See the third post in that thread. DVDPatcher can be used to write the correct aspect ratio into the mpeg stream, so when MakeMKV processes it you'll end up with the correct aspect ratio in your MKV file.

Please also add your comments to that thread so that Mike can get some more test files if necessary in order to get this properly fixed.
lpcmissues

Post by lpcmissues »

I'm going to try this now, I'll post back with my results.
lpcmissues

Post by lpcmissues »

It didn't work.

I ripped the DVD with DVDShrink (with No Compression selected), put the files into DVD patcher and selected 16:9 aspect ratio, patched the files, ran the files through MakeMKV and ended up with the exact same result.
lpcmissues

Post by lpcmissues »

I found out what the issue is. It's something called the 'Sequence Display Extension' that screws up on certain DVDs when ripped.

To fix the issue you have to remove the sequence display extension. Here's some quick shots I took of before and after removing the sequence display extension.
From what I understand what the issue is exactly is that some DVDs contain two different ratio flags, one for pan and scan and one for 16:9 and when ripping the DVDs the pan and scan aspect ratio gets used by accident and to fix this you have to remove the pan and scan aspect ratio.

The way I fixed the issue is a pain in the ass and doesn't work very well, I had to rip the disc with DVD decrypter, demux it, run it through restream to remove the sequence display extension and then it was fixed. Trouble is restream only works with mpg files so i had to demux it to an mpg file before i could remove the sequence display extension.

Before:

After:
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

lpcmissues wrote:before i could remove the sequence display extension
How did you accomplish this?
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
lpcmissues

Post by lpcmissues »

I removed the sequence display extension using a piece of software called 'Restream' http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Restream

Issue is I had to demux the DVD using DVD Decrypter before I could remove the sequence display extension using Restream.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Excellent. Thank you. You could probably also just extract the MPEG stream from the MKV file and do the same thing, right?
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
lpcmissues

Post by lpcmissues »

crowfax wrote:Excellent. Thank you. You could probably also just extract the MPEG stream from the MKV file and do the same thing, right?
Yep.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Great, so the whole process can be done with MakeMKV, mkvtoolnix and ReStream.

Excellent.
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

crowfax wrote:Great, so the whole process can be done with MakeMKV, mkvtoolnix and ReStream.

Excellent.
And you can get the correct chapters using chaptergrabber. Select XML output for mkv.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Chapter-Grabber

So it looks like we have workarounds for the issues at hand. Nice job guys!

Still curious as to why makemkv does not recognize the chapters correctly, but since we have workarounds for it and it only happens in a rare few cases, I'm not going to sweat it any more. If I come across any more DVD's that show this behavior I'll post back for informational purposes.

Cheers.
lpcmissues

Post by lpcmissues »

If it's of interest to anyone here is a clip of the movie, one with and one without the sequence display extension.
Original: http://www.mediafire.com/?fnxxfrl56h16bmj
No Sequence Display Extension: http://www.mediafire.com/?g55i8whclbsgmag
lpcmissues

Post by lpcmissues »

Bump - has any of the developers looked into this?

I continue to use MakeMKV to backup my Blu-Ray and DVD collection and it works fantasticly but I still have several DVDs that suffer from the AR issue.