Error checking

Everything related to MakeMKV
ryanjk333

Error checking

Post by ryanjk333 »

Hi all,

I just have a quick question about MakeMKV and error checking.

Some of my DVDs and even blu rays are in relatively tough shape because others didn't take care of them as well as I do. So I am getting everything converted to MKV.

Does MakeMKV have any sort of error checking that it does? Both when backing up the entire disc and when just creating an MKV file? If my disc is a bit too scratched (to the point it can't be read 100%), I'd rather the program let me know instead of just skipping over the problem and doing the best it can with what it has to work with.

Or perhaps there would be a way to go back and check the created full backup or MKV file with the actual disc to make sure that everything matches up 100%.

I'd prefer not to watch some of these movies down the road and find that there are glitches with the audio, video, etc. when I watch the full backup or MKV that I've created with MakeMKV because of the questionable condition of the original disc.

Thanks much for any thoughts you might have on this!
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
mike admin

Re: Error checking

Post by mike admin »

Unlike DVD, Blu-ray discs have so-called "content hashes", it's like md5sums for M2TS files. These cover abut 99.9% of all M2TS files on disc ( they are there not for error control, but to prevent "piracy" and therefore don't cover all M2TS files). Still, using these hashes one could verify integrity of M2TS files. MakeMKV always verifies these hashes when doing a full disc backup. There are plans to verify hashes even in MKV creation mode, but that requires a lot of work. I don't know of any other program that can validate these hashes, especially transparently during disc read.
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

Great, thanks Mike!

So if I were really paranoid about quality (I am :wink: ) would it be wise for me to always do the full disc backup first to have that verification done and then convert that backup to MKV? Or is that a bad idea for some reason or just a complete waste of time?
MakeMKV registered!
Popcorn Hour C-200
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

ryanjk333 wrote:So if I were really paranoid about quality (I am :wink: ) would it be wise for me to always do the full disc backup first to have that verification done and then convert that backup to MKV?
Yes, for now it's the only way to verify M2TS hashes. There should be no drawbacks at all.
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

Great! Thanks so much for the info!
MakeMKV registered!
Popcorn Hour C-200