3 Newbie questions:

Everything related to MakeMKV

3 Newbie questions:

Post by 582896 »

Sorry for my ignorance. I am brand new to makeMKV. It seems like a great product.

Question 1
I have bluray discs that have DTS-MA, TrueHD (almost always in english). How can I have MakeMKV automatically choose the highest quality audio stream that's in english? If nothing is in english, to use the highest quality audio track in a different language IF there are english subtitles?

Question 2
Sorry if there is an option for this, but I didnt see it. How can I disable MakeMKV builtin BD/BD+ decryption? I couldn't find the option anywhere in the settings. There's a large number of people who use AnyDVD-HD to "help" several 3rd party directshow bluray players/copy programs that require the help of AnyDVD-HD . Having the option to disable makeMKV copy protection would avoid the warning message to disable ANyDVD-HD every time they want to use it. Its possible that MakeMKV may have slightly better BD decryption, but it's not worth the hassle every time to enable/disable anyDVD-HD just to rip a disc to MKV.

Question 3 (suggestion):
If you do not wish to disable MakeMKV builtin BD/BD decryption, maybe you could offer the same kind of feature as AnyDVD-HD (where it assists 3rd party directshow software/players) that can only playback non-copy protected discs.

Thanks for your effort to improving MakeMKV!
-Brent

Re: 3 Newbie questions:

Post by 582896 »

While waiting for answers. I did a search to see if anyone else asked the same questions... one thing that I noticed was there are lots and lots of people asking a way to get rid of the message about disabling AnyDVDHD (Question #2). I dont understand why there can't be an option to disable that warning message (shown it only one time, not every single time I use MakeMKV); with a disclaimer that MakeMKV "might" not work correctly with AnyDVD-HD enabled... Or, simply disable MakeMKV copy protection removal; relying on AnyDVD-HD; regardless if MakeMKV has better way to remove copy protection or not.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

582896 wrote:While waiting for answers. I did a search to see if anyone else asked the same questions... one thing that I noticed was there are lots and lots of people asking a way to get rid of the message about disabling AnyDVDHD (Question #2). I dont understand why there can't be an option to disable that warning message (shown it only one time, not every single time I use MakeMKV); with a disclaimer that MakeMKV "might" not work correctly with AnyDVD-HD enabled... Or, simply disable MakeMKV copy protection removal; relying on AnyDVD-HD; regardless if MakeMKV has better way to remove copy protection or not.
This message comes from experience - if you search the forum you'll find many posts when AnyDVD removed protection incorrectly and MakeMKV was chocking on such discs. The message is harmless - just ignore it.

Post by 582896 »

Thank you for responding.

Is it possible to offer a user-selectable (checkbox) preference/setting they can agree to that clearly explains the problems AnyDVD might cause... and, if the user selects this option, they wont have to acknowledge the same warning message about disabling AnyDVD every time they try to use MakeMKV. This way, the user can take full responsibility for any complications caused by AnyDVD. If there is a problem with MakeMKV, the user would already know to try disabling AnyDVD (to see if that fixes the problem).

Thanks for any help further help you can offer.

-Brent
mike admin wrote:
582896 wrote:While waiting for answers. I did a search to see if anyone else asked the same questions... one thing that I noticed was there are lots and lots of people asking a way to get rid of the message about disabling AnyDVDHD (Question #2). I dont understand why there can't be an option to disable that warning message (shown it only one time, not every single time I use MakeMKV); with a disclaimer that MakeMKV "might" not work correctly with AnyDVD-HD enabled... Or, simply disable MakeMKV copy protection removal; relying on AnyDVD-HD; regardless if MakeMKV has better way to remove copy protection or not.
This message comes from experience - if you search the forum you'll find many posts when AnyDVD removed protection incorrectly and MakeMKV was chocking on such discs. The message is harmless - just ignore it.
AQ_OC

Post by AQ_OC »

582896 wrote:Sorry for my ignorance. I am brand new to makeMKV. It seems like a great product.

Question 1
I have bluray discs that have DTS-MA, TrueHD (almost always in english). How can I have MakeMKV automatically choose the highest quality audio stream that's in english? If nothing is in english, to use the highest quality audio track in a different language IF there are english subtitles?

Question 2
Sorry if there is an option for this, but I didnt see it. How can I disable MakeMKV builtin BD/BD+ decryption? I couldn't find the option anywhere in the settings. There's a large number of people who use AnyDVD-HD to "help" several 3rd party directshow bluray players/copy programs that require the help of AnyDVD-HD . Having the option to disable makeMKV copy protection would avoid the warning message to disable ANyDVD-HD every time they want to use it. Its possible that MakeMKV may have slightly better BD decryption, but it's not worth the hassle every time to enable/disable anyDVD-HD just to rip a disc to MKV.

Question 3 (suggestion):
If you do not wish to disable MakeMKV builtin BD/BD decryption, maybe you could offer the same kind of feature as AnyDVD-HD (where it assists 3rd party directshow software/players) that can only playback non-copy protected discs.

Thanks for your effort to improving MakeMKV!
-Brent

I bought a copy of MakeMKV the other day because I feel it is exactly what I need as I convert my DVD collection to a hard-drive ISO/MKV collection that I can stream over my gigabit network using my HTPC.

However, for the life of me, I don't understand why the program creators insist on making me click to get rid of a warning -- over and over and over -- and why they won't let me set flags to put off the high-quality multi-channel audio tracks in English, with no subtitles. This is what software is for...I would not have to do this over and over and over. MakeMKV does a good job and giving me a perfect rip, but I'm not asking for a whole lot more by asking for some default setting that can be used each time.
paulster

Post by paulster »

I'm with you.

Thanks, I've had the warning, now move on.