VLC playback and Handbreak problem

Everything related to MakeMKV
oz1mis

VLC playback and Handbreak problem

Post by oz1mis »

I try to use 1.6.14 win(x64 release) to make mkv-files of several DVD's.

The ripping seems to go perfect, but some files can't be played in VLC (newest v.1.1.11). The playback suddenly stops, but if I move the playback to just 2 seconds after the time where the playback stops, then it continue. Some files has several "stops" I have to jump to view to hole file.

If I try to convert the same files with HandBreak, it stops at the same place in the file.
I have tried to move the mkv file to an USB-device and play it directly on my television - same result - it stops the exact same place.

I have tried to re-rip the files, and sometimes after 5-10 retries it makes a file without playback problems (and HandBreak converting problems).

This leads me to the conclusion that the problem is in the mkv file, and made by MakeMKV ???

What can I do to solve, or help to solve the problem ?

/Michael
DiehrWolf

Re: VLC playback and Handbreak problem

Post by DiehrWolf »

Hi there, I might be able to help you with this one. I was experiencing something very similar, if not the same as what you're describing.
I found the problem to be in my videocard drivers (because of the chipset) and a conflict within VLC. I fixed this by uninstalling my graphics driver, and downloading the previous version.
NVIDIA Driver 270.61
http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDow ... pe=GeForce
NVidia has been TERRIBLE the last half year when it comes to drivers. V280.19 works well for me with VLC, but that could be because of my new 580 card. Just trying to say as an observation that the chipset and VLC especially as of late with the new drivers, seem to make the difference in playback, whereas v270.61 and before, didn't.
Also, if you're SLI'd, turn it off, that also helped.

If you're on ATI/AMD, try going to their website and getting an archived driver.

Hope this helps you!
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

HandBrake does not use any kind of GPU-assisted video decoding, so whatever is causing it to think it reached the end of the file cannot be fixed by installing a driver.

Personally I'd try remuxing MakeMKV's output with mkvmerge and check if it makes a difference.
DiehrWolf

Post by DiehrWolf »

Romansh wrote:HandBrake does not use any kind of GPU-assisted video decoding, so whatever is causing it to think it reached the end of the file cannot be fixed by installing a driver.

Personally I'd try remuxing MakeMKV's output with mkvmerge and check if it makes a difference.
Ah right, let me be clearer. If the problem you're experiencing is playback with VLC, then try what I suggested. If you're convinced that it is the ripping tools, then try what Romansh suggested, or wait for someone else with another idea :)

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking more about it, VLC stuttered and failed on most video's I tried... so it might after all not be related.
oz1mis

Post by oz1mis »

Just tried with 20 episodes of Fringe 1. Season.
Just 2 out of the 20 could HandBreak complete - the 18 stopped before they should :-(

So at the moment I can't rely on the mkv-files to be in order and must view or convert them to test if they are ok.

I will try remuxing...

/Michael
Icetrips

Post by Icetrips »

You could have trouble with your h264 codec... (FFDShow or Haali).

I can just recommend you to uninstall VLC... and install something more robust like CCCP.
http://www.cccp-project.net/

VLC is include in CCCP.
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
oz1mis

Post by oz1mis »

Version 1.6.15 seems to have solved the problem.