mkv not playing on LG theatre but plays on popcorn?

Everything related to MakeMKV
ZUSO2011

mkv not playing on LG theatre but plays on popcorn?

Post by ZUSO2011 »

Hi I'm new to this forum but not new to streaming my DVD collections, when I first started I decided on avi as I'd get excellent quality versus file size. now the capacity of hard drives is very low and capacity is massive I've decided to re rip in mkv. I know my popcorn A110 plays mkv's as does my LG theatre system. So when I came across MakeMKV I thought I'd give it a try. My problem is that the mkv produced by Make MKV won't play on my LG theatre system but will play on the popcorn. Does anybody know why this might be? I created a mkv of the latest 300 (a massive 32gig as avi) using anydvd converter which works fine? Am i missing something a setting maybe? Are there different flavours of mkv so to speak?

Many thanks
mike admin

Re: mkv not playing on LG theatre but plays on popcorn?

Post by mike admin »

Well, MKV is just a container. Inside there is video and audio encoded with different codecs. It looks that LG can't play certain cedecs from the file. Please use the freeware program called mediainfo and post the output for file that plays and for file that doesn't.
twa000

Post by twa000 »

I think Mike is being very positive here. Over the last 12 months both in this forum and others I continue to see posts from people that have bought LG products and have problems - the issue I have is that after the initial post and response from other forum user's they tend to go very quiet. I assume that this mean that LG marketing is ahead of their delivery capability but it would actually help if someone who has bought LG would explain how they got around their problem in playing MKV or did they just send it back and then bought something else??????
Icetrips

Post by Icetrips »

Normal.

It's not all "media center" can play MKV correctly.

Popcorn it's more "PC based" so he support more format than your LG.

And even if your LG support MKV... this doesn't mean he'll play your mkv file.

I recommend you to try this.
Make an mkv with MakeMKV with only 1 audiotrack ( like an english 3:2) and no subtitle and try it on your LG.
If it's works you know what the problem is.
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA