Adding temporay subtitles to 4k UHD and blu-ray discs while playing

Everything related to MakeMKV
Sirulas

Adding temporay subtitles to 4k UHD and blu-ray discs while playing

Post by Sirulas »

Hello Everyone

I was able to temporarily add the srt file in the language I wanted while playing dvd discs by drag and drop via potplayer. Is there any possibility to do this to 4k uhd and blu ray discs via any program? When I try through vlc and leawo I get errors and the movie freezes all the time.
Woodstock

Re: Adding temporay subtitles to 4k UHD and blu-ray discs while playing

Post by Woodstock »

It depends on your player. A lot of them will allow you to put the .SRT file in the same directory as the video file to play, with the file name selected to indicate the language.

I'm more familiar with encoding the video with the "proper" subtitles, so I can only point you at the solution.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Sirulas

Post by Sirulas »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:10 pm
It depends on your player. A lot of them will allow you to put the .SRT file in the same directory as the video file to play, with the file name selected to indicate the language.

I'm more familiar with encoding the video with the "proper" subtitles, so I can only point you at the solution.
I mean to put srt file to the player temporary. I can not put it in the file directory because the discs are not rewritable. The software player will only show subtitle on video and align it with the timecode of video.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ah, so you're not actually ripping the disks, just playing them. That makes "automatic" much more difficult. Ripping to MKV files would make it (relatively) easy to match the .SRT file up with the video itself.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Sirulas

Post by Sirulas »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:36 pm
Ah, so you're not actually ripping the disks, just playing them. That makes "automatic" much more difficult. Ripping to MKV files would make it (relatively) easy to match the .SRT file up with the video itself.
Yes it is very easy after ripping. And I enjoy to adjust subittles fps with subtitle workshop etc. But you know ı was able to put them while playing potplayer but that software plays only encrypted discs.
Sirulas

Post by Sirulas »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:36 pm
Thats the reason why I bought pioneer bdr ud-04 for computer to add temporary subtitles to disc while playing. Otherwise a ps5 would be enough for 4k uhd disc playing. I am not interested in ripping to struggle with hdd space and encryption is difficult for me.