My favourite 5 video tools

Everything related to MakeMKV
RAHRL

My favourite 5 video tools

Post by RAHRL »

My current list of favorite video tools, in random order:
1. MakeMKV, for ripping dvd’s and blurays.
2. VLC Player, only the Windows version, for testing ripped video’s.
3. Kodi, on Android TV, for playing videos.
4. Video Download Helper, add-on for webbrowser.
5. IMDB.com, for information on many movies and tv-series.

Tools that didn’t quite make it:
1. Windows 10, because Windows Explorer has issues with video thumbnails.
2. Nvidia TV Shield, because it sometimes looses smb shares, needs reboot. Many apps not available in Play Store.
3. Shotcut video editor, it is too complicated to use for simple editing jobs.
4. Subtitle Edit and OpenSubtitles.org, adding subtitles to movies is elaborate, synchronizing is difficult or impossible.

Feel free to add.
Nucleus

Re: My favourite 5 video tools

Post by Nucleus »

OS - Windows 10 LTSC:

For anyone into ripping/encoding MKVtoolNix is pretty much an essential.

Inviska MKV Extract (although discontinued) is my preferred one of several similar tools for extracting mkv streams - a GUI front end for mkvextrect.exe (part of MKVToolNix package).

SubtitleEdit is likewise invaluable.

LosslessCut great for cutting samples etc.

MP4-Mux-Tool useful for muxing MP4 files.

Media Player Classic - BE - Fave video player.

Vimu Media Player - Fave Firestick 4k media player for network streaming from NAS. Just wish they'd fix it correctly identifying forced subs streams!

TMDB and TVDB good companion sites alongside IMDB.

Simple Movie Posters - Easily generate BR or 4K movie posters if you're into Plex/Jellyfin whatever.

Process Monitor and GetMPLS as below in my sig - Identifying/Trying to identify the correctly playlist to rip in discs that use playlist obfuscation.

TheDiscDB - Playslist obfuscation again, can often show you the correct playlist to rip for a given title. Search movie title, click on it, then click on Disc 1 or 2 whatever and it shows the title/playlist number.
Windows:
Identifying The Correct Title To Rip: Process Monitor Method - GetMPLS Method
Mux/Remux: Set A Subtitle Stream On By Default (Forced)
RAHRL

Post by RAHRL »

Do you actually use all that stuff?

I have used MKVToolNix a few times, it’s ok, but I don’t need it for every dvd that I rip. Have used it in the past to split episodes that were in 1 video file, to merge videos that were in seperate video files and to change the name of a language track.

I tried SubtitleEdit but not to my liking. It crashes a lot and it’s ocr process generates lots of mistakes. I have used it to sync subtitles from opensubtitles.org but I never get it 100% right, even if I managed to find the right subtitle file (lots if different versions around).

LosslessCut is ok, but I don’t have the need to use it, because MKVToolNix is also lossless and can do the same job.

I am not familiar with the other tools that you mention, but I am sure they have their purpose. I don’t have a nas or plex server, I play my videos over wifi from a windows laptop with external storage attached to it. Works fine for me. Whenever I rip a dvd, I also scan the cover of the case, so no need for a poster app of some kind.

I have used Handbrake a few times though, not for ripping a dvd, but for compressing a BluRay video that I previously ripped with MakeMKV. Try not to do that very often, as it takes considerable time to do that.

And finally, I have used DVDFab once, as it seems to be the only app that is able to retrieve region info from a dvd.
Nucleus

Post by Nucleus »

RAHRL wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:02 am
Do you actually use all that stuff?
Yes because I rip and encode, don't store any Remuxes as they would eat my hard drives given time. Use MKVToolNix a lot and SubtitleEdit to OCR .sup (PGS) to .srt and spell check, never had a problem with SubtitleEdit. Yes have used MKVToolNix to cut samples but there's no fiddling about manually entering timecodes in LossLessCut. Not familiar with DVDFab products, think I tried one ages ago but it seemed like a lot of unnecessary bloat and stuff I didn't need. MakeMKV sees to the overwhelming majority of my ripping needs, have also used Xreveal with an up to date keydb.cfg and an appropriate ripping tool, CloneBD or whatever.
RAHRL wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:02 am
I don’t have a nas or plex server, I play my videos over wifi from a windows laptop with external storage attached to it. Works fine for me.
Does that work okay to stream 4k movie rips? Although one of my 4k Firesticks is just across the room from the NAS I used to get occasional problems of stuttering (empty buffer in Vimu player), changed the Firestick to wired via the ethernet adapter gadget and all problems resolved, odd thing is that although a Firestick speed test shows slower via the Ethernet gadget (I believe its max is 100Mbps for some reason) any buffering issues disappeared. This was discussed in a thread somewhere but I wouldn't be able to find it now.
Windows:
Identifying The Correct Title To Rip: Process Monitor Method - GetMPLS Method
Mux/Remux: Set A Subtitle Stream On By Default (Forced)
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I do playback via an Apple TV 4K. It can display PGS subtitles without any trouble, so I don't mess with trying to convert to .srt. I don't have much experience with other playback setups, so maybe support for PGS subtitles isn't that common?
RAHRL

Post by RAHRL »

99,9% of my videos are pre 2010, so HD (1280x720) at the most. That works fine over my wifi and there is still plenty of bandwidth left for other devices.
But I must admit the situation could be quite different in case of higher resolution videos like 4K. In the latter case I would still have the option to cable the connection, something that Nvidia recommends on their website anyway but is not feasible in my old house because the Windows laptop is in my study upstairs and my screen is on the ground floor without any ducts in between. Currently, both my Nvidia as my laptop are wireless.

I have so many dvds left to rip that I am primarily interested in the most efficient way to process them. Every tool that I would need after an MakeMKV rip would take additional time, so I only want to use those tools in exceptional cases, not for each of my rips.
I’d rather not spend a day or so on a rip of a single movie, I strive to about 10 minutes per movie on average. This might be different for other rippers, and I find it interesting how other people have chosen their setup (hardware, software) that best suits their personal requirements. I think this aspect is generally underrated, there is a lot of info on technical issues, but no so much about realizing the best configuration for one’s personal wishes.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

What sort of processing do you do after you rip a movie on DVD?

An easy way to increase the speed at which you can rip a big stack of discs is to get an additional optical drive. In MakeMKV's settings, there's an item called 'Ask for single drive mode'. If that's turned on and you have multiple optical drives connected, when you start MakeMKV, it'll ask you which drive you want to 'lock' that instance of MakeMKV to. You can then start a second instance of MakeMKV and 'lock' it to your other drive and both will operate independently. You can rip two discs at a time this way.
RAHRL

Post by RAHRL »

Yep, single mode is what I do. I have 2 dvd-readers and 1 bluray reader. I consider 10 minutes not too bad for a single movie. Anyway, ripping the dvd's is no the bottleneck, organizing can be and editing after the rip certainly is. That is the reason I want to minimize the number of tools and only use them in exceptional circumstances, not for every rip I make.

What do I do in those 10 minutes (on average, special editions with lots of bonus videos are worse).
1. Scan the cover and edit it,
2. Search for the movie on IMDB and create a map,
3. Rip the dvd with MakeMKV,
4. Assign the names to the files according to "my system".

Organizing tv-series can be elaborate because I want to assign the right season-, episode-number and title to each video. That isn't too hard when the title appears in the video (and you can find it), but it gets trickier when the title is not in there. You can not fully rely on episodes being in the correct order on the dvd's. E.g. I recently did Gilligan's Island and in this case the episodes were in the correct order but to check that I had to read the description of each episode on IMDB and watch parts of the videos. In this case the storyline are not complicated, but it can get a lot harder. In the case of Vegas, I have used the list of guest stars on IMDB to verify the pertaining episode. This process can take easily 1-2 days depending on the number of episodes.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

An additional resource I use to help sort through the 'extras' on a disc is https://www.dvdcompare.net/
They don't have every disc in their database, but for titles they do have, the list is usually complete.

I also like to get posters from https://www.themoviedb.org, a site Nucleus mentioned (and appears to be the source of posters used at Simple Movie Posters). Personally, I'm fond of posters with recognizable artwork and the title without any other writing. I think they look better from the couch. Almost always there's an acceptable choice at TMDB.