Ripping 4K UHD Disks

Everything related to MakeMKV
Ritzter13

Ripping 4K UHD Disks

Post by Ritzter13 »

Can MakeMKV still rip 4K Disks? When I try it always fails. I have the latest purchased version, v1.17.6 [win(x64)]. I always get this error. It doesn't matter what movie I try. Whether it's older, any MCU movie, or newer like Oppenheimer I get the same failure. This just started happening about a month ago. I was able to rip 4K disks until April 2024. MakeMKV works awesome ripping my blu-ray versions of my collections. When will the capability of ripping 4K movies return? Thanks for your help.
Coopervid

Re: Ripping 4K UHD Disks

Post by Coopervid »

4K discs need Internet access enabled for Makemkv. Either you have it not enabled in the settings or something blocks Makemkv to access the Internet.
Ritzter13

Post by Ritzter13 »

Coopervid wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:10 pm
4K discs need Internet access enabled for Makemkv. Either you have it not enabled in the settings or something blocks Makemkv to access the Internet.
I have the "Enable Internet Access" box checked. I'll do more research.
Ritzter13

Post by Ritzter13 »

Ritzter13 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:16 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:10 pm
I have the "Enable Internet Access" box checked. I'll do more research.
I'm trying to add a 12kb jpg to show my MakeMKV firewall setting and the damn rule says that the attachment quota has been reached. WTF! There are no other attachments. 12kb is nothing.

Anyway I have allowed access thru my firewall and still get the error.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The blocking that might be preventing you from downloading UHD hashed keys might have nothing to do with your local computer or router (though it might). The server is in Russia so sometimes folks with fancy routers have geoIP blocking turned on. Lots of times, a user's ISP is 'being helpful' and blocking the request automatically. In the later case, using a VPN is often a good way to get around the blocking an ISP is doing. You might have to try different VPN exit points to find a place where the HK request isn't blocked.

You don't have to run VPN all the time, just when MakeMKV needs to download a new UHD hashed key.
Ritzter13

Post by Ritzter13 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 12:08 am
The blocking that might be preventing you from downloading UHD hashed keys might have nothing to do with your local computer or router (though it might). The server is in Russia so sometimes folks with fancy routers have geoIP blocking turned on. Lots of times, a user's ISP is 'being helpful' and blocking the request automatically. In the later case, using a VPN is often a good way to get around the blocking an ISP is doing. You might have to try different VPN exit points to find a place where the HK request isn't blocked.

You don't have to run VPN all the time, just when MakeMKV needs to download a new UHD hashed key.
I'm using a solid VPN. I've tried 6 different European servers around the Russian Federation. Nothing has worked yet. If someone has found a server that works post it here or PM me.

I have to say the MakeMKV did a wonderful job ripping my MCU blu-ray disks. I still would like to rip 4K disks in the future.
Ritzter13

Post by Ritzter13 »

I'm using an ASUS BW-16D 1HT internal player. Just wondering if there has been an update to the firmware my drive uses and could this be the problem. This is what my drive's internal info looks like:

Drive Information
OS device name: L:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: KLMJB695502
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14

Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10

DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes
segfaulted

Post by segfaulted »

Ritzter13 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 12:35 pm
dcoke22 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 12:08 am

I'm using a solid VPN. I've tried 6 different European servers around the Russian Federation. Nothing has worked yet. If someone has found a server that works post it here or PM me.

I have to say the MakeMKV did a wonderful job ripping my MCU blu-ray disks. I still would like to rip 4K disks in the future.
It could be a DNS issue. Have you tried manually adding the hkdata domains to your system's hosts file? See this: viewtopic.php?p=141837#p141837

Interestingly, the SSL certificate expired a few months ago but that doesn't seem to be a problem.
Ritzter13

Post by Ritzter13 »

segfaulted wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 6:54 pm
It could be a DNS issue. Have you tried manually adding the hkdata domains to your system's hosts file? See this: viewtopic.php?p=141837#p141837

Interestingly, the SSL certificate expired a few months ago but that doesn't seem to be a problem.
I didn't know that could be done. I will try that next. Thanks for the suggestion.
Ritzter13

Post by Ritzter13 »

segfaulted wrote:
Yes I followed the instructions in reference topic. MakeMKV still fails on a 4K disk.

My DNS server assignment in Win 11 Pro is currently set to Automatic (DHCP).
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Ritzter13 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 10:12 pm
segfaulted wrote:
Yes I followed the instructions in reference topic. MakeMKV still fails on a 4K disk.

My DNS server assignment in Win 11 Pro is currently set to Automatic (DHCP).
From your 1st post:
Can MakeMKV still rip 4K Disks? When I try it always fails. I have the latest purchased version, v1.17.6 [win(x64)]. I always get this error. ...
but I don't see any specifics about the failure. It would be very helpful if you could copy/paste the MakeMKV output... from the bottom pane starting w/:

MakeMKV v1.17.6 win(x64-release) started

after attempting a rip so we can see exactly how it failed?

My suspicion is it's related to using automatically assigned (ISP) DNS servers, but let's start w/ what MakeMKV reports.
oddeyeball

Post by oddeyeball »

I wonder if your drive is doing what two of mine did. Mine just stopped being able to rip UHD disks over time, sometime after 200 rips. Happened with both of my WH16NS60 drives. They both can rip DVDs and Blu-rays, just not UHD. My BP50NB40 and BP60NB10 drives work fine with UHD disks.

Can you post the error you are getting from the log?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

oddeyeball wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 11:26 pm
I wonder if your drive is doing what two of mine did. Mine just stopped being able to rip UHD disks over time, sometime after 200 rips. Happened with both of my WH16NS60 drives. They both can rip DVDs and Blu-rays, just not UHD. My BP50NB40 and BP60NB10 drives work fine with UHD disks.

clean the lasers with some alcohol on lint free cloth and dry with another do that 2 times and it should work
i used to get lg/asus from the factory like that had to stop selling them
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Ritzter13

Post by Ritzter13 »

Thank you for your help. Let me know if there is anything else I can provide. I have 2 .tgz zip folders from movie failures as well.
d00zah wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 11:08 pm
but I don't see any specifics about the failure. It would be very helpful if you could copy/paste the MakeMKV output... from the bottom pane starting w/:

after attempting a rip so we can see exactly how it failed?

My suspicion is it's related to using automatically assigned (ISP) DNS servers, but let's start w/ what MakeMKV reports.
Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom1
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: KLMJB695502
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

Disc Information
Label: FANTASTIC_BEASTS
Timestamp: 2017-01-23 23:39:30
Protection: AACS2.0/C v61
Data capacity: 59.20 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 2
Bus encryption flags: 80

Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=0FA242DD4D0B)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\redwi/.MakeMKV ...
Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed.
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\redwi/.MakeMKV/MKB20_v61_Fantastic_Beasts_and_Where_to_Find_Them_2225.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

I get a similar type of failure for any 4K disk I attempt to rip.

This is a copy of what's in my host file:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

185.84.108.20 hkdata.crabdance.com hkdata.fairuse.org
Ritzter13

Post by Ritzter13 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:36 am
oddeyeball wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 11:26 pm

clean the lasers with some alcohol on lint free cloth and dry with another do that 2 times and it should work
i used to get lg/asus from the factory like that had to stop selling them
I've never attempted to clean the lasers by hand like that. I'll try that later today.
Last edited by Ritzter13 on Fri May 17, 2024 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.