MakeMKV randomly won't work anymore

Everything related to MakeMKV
tp546

MakeMKV randomly won't work anymore

Post by tp546 »

Hey guys,
I have no idea why, but my MakeMKV randomly stopped working all of a sudden. Every time I try to rip a disc I can get to the screen where it has done the initial scan and I can choose which tracks to rip, but when I actually start the process, it ends up failing every time without giving me any kind of reason other than saying it failed. I have tried different discs, ripping to different drives, copying the disc to my hard drive first and ripping from there, and upgrading from 1.6.12 to 1.6.13 and none of that has changed anything. Can anyone help? Is there a log file somewhere perhaps?
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV randomly won't work anymore

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, if you enable logging, there is a log file, and its path is announced when you start up MakeMKV.

Open the preferences menu, go to the General tab, and check "Log debug messages". Click OK, then restart MakeMKV for the change to take effect.

After that, you will see something like this in the window:
MakeMKV v1.6.13 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\jeffb/MakeMKV_log.txt
If you get a number in the name of the log, you still have a copy of MakeMKV running somewhere.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tp546

Post by tp546 »

Woodstock wrote:Yes, if you enable logging, there is a log file, and its path is announced when you start up MakeMKV.

Open the preferences menu, go to the General tab, and check "Log debug messages". Click OK, then restart MakeMKV for the change to take effect.

After that, you will see something like this in the window:
MakeMKV v1.6.13 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\jeffb/MakeMKV_log.txt
If you get a number in the name of the log, you still have a copy of MakeMKV running somewhere.
Thanks but that made the problem worse. Now as soon as I hit the button to rip the files, it just freezes the program as soon as it switches screens and shows the progress bars. No log file even gets created despite what the program says. This makes no sense to me at all.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Are you sure you don't have a problem with the destination drive? Maybe it's full, or has a screwed up directory structure?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tp546

Post by tp546 »

Woodstock wrote:Are you sure you don't have a problem with the destination drive? Maybe it's full, or has a screwed up directory structure?
i just tried another drive and had the same problem.
Mortikai

Post by Mortikai »

I have the same issue, in fact there are quite a few ppl having this issue according to other threads. Everything was working great o the last version, then upgrade and no matter what you do, it randomly crashes. PLEASE, if you know a fix, post it!!!!!!!! The logs DO cause more issues for me as well. Is the previous version available anywhere and has anyone tried that?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

If thae app crashes, please submit the debug dump per instructions at http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/dump.html . There is one known bug, bit it'll cause MakeMKV to crash at the very start under very rare circumstances - this will be fixed in a next version.

This also may be related to "MakeMKV data directory" - please launch MakeMKV, go to preferences, general tab, and see what value do you have for "application data directory". Try changing it if it looks bogus.
tp546

Post by tp546 »

okay i've got it working again, turns out there must have been something wrong with my hard drive in combination with the disc i was trying to read from was corrupt as well, so that's why i didn't think it was the hard drive at first, but when i tried a second disc on the second hard drive, it seemed to work just fine. thanks for the help everyone!
nozomiaiheiwa

Post by nozomiaiheiwa »

Hi,

I have the same problem. I have a relatively big collection of blu-ray and I want to make an home server with those in uncompressed MKV. I ripped over 75 discs, but suddenly make MKV doesn't want to rip anymore. Now all blu-ray don't pass, the application freeze during the first 10 seconds of the beginning of the rip.

I'm going to try the old released to see if the problem stay. I'll give a feedback later.

EDIT : Erf I don't find a good source for the previous version :/
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

nozomiaiheiwa wrote:Hi,

I have the same problem. I have a relatively big collection of blu-ray and I want to make an home server with those in uncompressed MKV. I ripped over 75 discs, but suddenly make MKV doesn't want to rip anymore. Now all blu-ray don't pass, the application freeze during the first 10 seconds of the beginning of the rip.

I'm going to try the old released to see if the problem stay. I'll give a feedback later.

EDIT : Erf I don't find a good source for the previous version :/
This is a bug - http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3955
nozomiaiheiwa

Post by nozomiaiheiwa »

Ok, nice.

This is the list of the "blocked" blu-ray I have :

I,Robot
Le Jour d'Apr?s (The Day After Tomorrow)
Le Jour o? la Terre s'Arr?ta (1951) (The Day The Earth Stood Still)
Die Hard 1
Braveheart
Die Hard 2
Independence Day
Sunshine
Speed
Twilight 1

Now the list of the films which passed but the result is a file with no video data and only audio. Crash for MPCHC and audio only for VLC :

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete
L'affaire p?lican
The Last Samurai
Troie
King Kong (P.Jackson)

Next movies come in that list later.
tp546

Post by tp546 »

is "Cast Away" one that won't work? that was the one i originally had problems with and i still cant get it to work, even using a new hard drive.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

nozomiaiheiwa wrote: Now the list of the films which passed but the result is a file with no video data and only audio. Crash for MPCHC and audio only for VLC :

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete
L'affaire p?lican
The Last Samurai
Troie
King Kong (P.Jackson)
Search this forum for "interlaced vc-1". You can confirm that it's the case with a freeware utility called mediainfo.
nozomiaiheiwa

Post by nozomiaiheiwa »

Mediainfo says :

AVC for Final
VC1 for P?lican
VC1 for the samura?
VC1 for Troie
VC1 for King Kong

But I don't see if it's interlaced.

In other case is there another technique to rip and read these movies ?
tp546

Post by tp546 »

here is the log part of when Cast Away fails:

DEBUG: Code 32 at lxX)W5!@;Emx44,;3J7h>:121261750

Any ideas how to fix this?