Region setting

Everything related to MakeMKV
floatinjoe

Region setting

Post by floatinjoe »

I recently purchased a DVD drive so that I wouldn't be putting wear and tear on my UHD drive with CDs and DVDs. I'm receiving the following statement in the log:

Region setting of drive ASUS:SDRW-08U9M-U does not match the region of currently inserted disc, trying to work around...

I thought that region settings weren't an issue for MakeMKV. I've ripped discs from other regions before without any issues. This disc is a region 1 disc, so I really don't know why the error is occurring.

I am running this on a Mac. Any insights?
dcoke22

Re: Region setting

Post by dcoke22 »

If your optical drive is supported by LibreDrive, then it should work.

Try putting the dvd in your UHD drive.
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

The drive winds up reading the disc, and there doesn't seem to be any issues with the rip. It is just that in all of my time ripping discs, I have never seen this message pop up. I was curious because I had ripped discs that didn't match the region of other drives before and never received this message.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

What is LibreDrive?

As I understand it, if MakeMKV can access your drive with LibreDrive, then things like region coding don't matter. Things like that are enforced via drive firmware or whatever and LibreDrive allows MakeMKV to bypass all of that.

If using a drive without LibreDrive, then I think the answer is a very definite maybe. I assume it is dependent on a drive's firmware. It is my guess that MakeMKV has some capability to try to work around region coding that may or may not be successful.

I also speculate that in the LibreDrive scenario, there wouldn't be a message. In fact, MakeMKV might not even be aware of the region code of a disc since it is bypassing the checks the drive's firmware does. In the non-LibreDrive scenario, MakeMKV is probably aware of the region code mismatch as it attempts to work around it, hence the message in the log.

In any case, I'm glad it worked.