script to convert to mkv

Everything related to MakeMKV
Depechefan

script to convert to mkv

Post by Depechefan »

Hi,

I have ripped my disks to BDMV folders and in a few instances iso files. I am thinking about converting everything to mkv so Plex can understand what to do with them. Would anyone have a script (Windows) that can look through folders and convert everything to mkv?

Everything is on hard drives so no need to work with bluray drives, eject disks etc, etc. In some instances the movies are in subfolders since I have some collections which are organised that way.
Radiocomms237

Re: script to convert to mkv

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Disc backups need to be 'compiled' (for want of a better word) and muxed into files that a media player such as Plex can use.

Many titles on a disc (or in your backup folder) are segmented, and the playlist (.mpls) files contain instructions on how to re-assemble those segments, as well as chapter information and some other stuff.

Disc menus do this re-assembly for you in a regular player, and MakeMKV does this when converting everything to .mkv files, or VLC Media Player can also play disc menus from a backup folder, but Windows in its native form cannot.

There's no 'batch convert' function in MakeMKV either (that I know of). Each backup folder must be opened and setup individually, but you can have multiple instances of MakeMKV open at the same time so you could either convert multiple backups simultaneously or, depending on how involved your setup is (naming tracks, setting order weights, etc.), you could be getting your next backup ready while the previous one is muxing?
Depechefan

Post by Depechefan »

OK, thanks for the reply. At least it won't take as long as the ripping process :-)
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

I ran a quick search on your query and found a couple of threads that may be what you're looking for. I didn't read these topics fully but have a look at the following and see if it's what you're after:

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6556

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4987
Depechefan

Post by Depechefan »

Thanks, I might try the first one. The other thread is very old so I'm guessing that things have changed a lot since then
Depechefan

Post by Depechefan »

I tried the batch converter which was mentioned in the first thread but the application stopped working roughly midway through the first movie. It looks pretty cool though. You can define which soundtracks to include based on language preferences and the same with subtitles. However it looks like it will be a manual process for me... Oh, well. No rush. I can just take it slow :-)