"Friendly" drive names?

Everything related to MakeMKV
AmatureArchiver

"Friendly" drive names?

Post by AmatureArchiver »

I recently purchased a second UHD drive so I can rip more discs at a single time, I'm sure plenty of you can understand.

The problem is, my short term memory is worse than a goldfishes. In most instances, this is fine because movies and such have unique names so it's easy to know what's in what. In some cases, mostly with TV series, the disc name will be the same throughout the series (though this can vary from series to series, even disc to disc within a series).

I suppose this suggestion is a bit of a two-part suggestion. The first idea is to be able to name the disc drive itself, so I can know which one I'm using via a more "friendly" name, instead of the default drive name. Something like:

That way, I can know which one is which at a glance.

In addition, if we could get the drive name to appear on the last screen where you save titles to mkvs, as this is where I typically go "oh, wait, what is in what drive again?"

Such as:

Of course, this particular dvd is a bad example because they did a great job naming it clearly.
Radiocomms237

Re: "Friendly" drive names?

Post by Radiocomms237 »

You can change the name of the disc to whatever you want.

After opening the disc, click on the top row in the left pane (highlighted by default unless you click somewhere else), then type whatever name you want in the text box in the properties pane...

I typically remove any and all text from this box every time I open a disc because it makes it easier when pasting track names.

MakeMKV could only pickup your 'drive names' from the disc's title anyway, so that really wouldn't be of any help if the disc is named something like 'LME27945B'
AmatureArchiver

Post by AmatureArchiver »

After opening the disc, click on the top row in the left pane (highlighted by default unless you click somewhere else), then type whatever name you want in the text box in the properties pane...
Ah, the reason I wasn't aware of said feature was due to it being an "Expert" option.
MakeMKV could only pickup your 'drive names' from the disc's title anyway, so that really wouldn't be of any help if the disc is named something like 'LME27945B'
I do believe somewhere there was a misunderstanding here. MakeMKV has the ability to show both the drive name and the name of the disc, as both are displayed on the screen before you actually begin to read the disc in MakeMKV. What my suggestion is, is to replace [random drive name] with a name of your own choosing, and to have that displayed on stages of reading/extracting data from a disc. I noticed that MakeMKV already seems to save some information regarding the drives in the registry, which lead me to this idea.

But I will look into editing the names for my own sanity for now.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

My apologies, it's been so long since I setup MakeMKV that I had forgotten that some may not be in "Expert mode" (Preferences > General tab).
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Do you have "Ask for single drive mode" checked in Preferences?

With that turned on, when MakeMKV starts, it asks you which drive you want that instance of MakeMKV to use. Then it stays locked to that drive. You can start a second instance of MakeMKV and set it to your other drive. You can then use a consistent window arrangement to help you remember which is which. This is what I do when I'm using more than 1 drive at a time in MakeMKV.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

AmatureArchiver wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:37 pm
MakeMKV has the ability to show both the drive name and the name of the disc, as both are displayed on the screen before you actually begin to read the disc in MakeMKV. What my suggestion is, is to replace [random drive name] with a name of your own choosing
Until then you could assign fitting drive letters. Back in the day my tower PC had 2 drives, the upper one of which got assigned and 'u' and the lower 'l'. If you have external drives, you could use l(eft) and r(ight). This should be enough to differentiate between them.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch