Is Makemkv no longer updating AACS protection?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Regular_guy

Is Makemkv no longer updating AACS protection?

Post by Regular_guy »

Just as the title says, for the past 6-7 months, pretty much every recent disk at the startup is displaying "This disc uses ever version of AACS protection please let us know....."

I continue to click the link provided and it thanks me for sending it but these AACS protection messages continue to pop on like every other disc. Like I said for almost 6 months now, lot's of newer pressed discs. Older discs never show this message obviously.

I didn't see anywhere in the notes of new versions addressing it, and since it's been SO LONG that this been happening I'm just curious if Makemkv doesn't pays attention to it any longer or if there are plans to fix it.

This never been the case before, and any time that happened in the past, the new version always fixed it.
Woodstock

Re: Is Makemkv no longer updating AACS protection?

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV updates DAILY to keep up, and you wonder if it's "no longer updating"?

Sometimes disks reach retail customers before their data makes it to the program's author. Sometimes people do not do updates every time they run the program.

Those are NOT signs that MakeMKV isn't "keeping up" with updates.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

https://www.makemkv.com/download/history.html

It looks like support for AACS v76 was added in April, 2020, in version 1.15.1. I have gotten a message about AACS v78 a couple of times (and I've uploaded the requested data) but this hasn't impacted my ability to make a rip since my drive supports LibreDrive.

It has been a few months since we've had an update that changes the version number of MakeMKV. I expect we'll have one sooner or later that will add support for AACS v78 so that 1) that message will go away and 2) folks without a LibreDrive can make rips of the newest discs. As Woodstock suggests, there are other changes to MakeMKV that happen all the time, but they're harder to see. The keys necessary to decrypt UHDs get updated regularly and downloaded automatically when you need them. Also the mechanism by which MakeMKV interacts with optical drives gets updated regularly and downloaded automatically by MakeMKV.

There's a lot of moving parts to keeping MakeMKV working smoothly and as I understand it, the development team for MakeMKV is pretty small. Undoubtedly, there are competing priorities but I trust eventually support for AACS v78 will make it to MakeMKV.
Regular_guy

Post by Regular_guy »

Of course, I didn't mean that MakeMKV does not update at all, maybe it was a poor choice of words on my part. But as dcoke22 mentioned (and was more precise) the newer AACS V78 does not seem to be cleared by MakeMKV YET. Every other new movie is greeted by the message that the disc uses newer protection and asks to click on the link. And that message has been popping up a lot, in fact I have some movies from over 6 months ago, and when I launch MakeMKV it still triggers "the newer version of protection" line.

As previously was the case, whenever MakeMKV added support for any new protection version, it was listed in the logs. And I started noticing AACS V78 ever since v1.17.1 and since the following 2 versions of MakeMKV didn't mention about adding support I wanted to make a post since it's been a while.

I didn't mean to imply that MakeMKV is not looking into these things, like I said, maybe I should have articulated my point a little bit better. I was rushing my post I think. MakeMKV a great program and I'm sure the development team is constantly tackling many other issues behind the scenes that are unknown to us, but that keeps the program running smoothly. Thank you for the hard work, I'm sure that support for newer AACS protection will be added at some point in the future. This was not a complaint on my part, but rather an observation.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Regular_guy wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 12:10 am
But as dcoke22 mentioned (and was more precise) the newer AACS V78 does not seem to be cleared by MakeMKV YET
My MakeMKV states:

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 78
Doesn't this mean AACS V78 is not a problem for me?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Regular_guy wrote:
Of course, I didn't mean that MakeMKV does not update at all, maybe it was a poor choice of words on my part. But as dcoke22 mentioned (and was more precise) the newer AACS V78 does not seem to be cleared by MakeMKV YET. Every other new movie is greeted by the message that the disc uses newer protection and asks to click on the link. And that message has been popping up a lot, in fact I have some movies from over 6 months ago, and when I launch MakeMKV it still triggers "the newer version of protection" line.
There is a specific place in the program that compares aacs version and asks to click a link. Unlike many other things this can't be updated dynamically, updates happen with the program. The newly released 1.17.4 bumps known aacs version to v81 .
And to note, all discs with these AACS versions were supported all the time, it is just this message was still bugging...
Regular_guy

Post by Regular_guy »

mike admin wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 11:58 am
Regular_guy wrote:
There is a specific place in the program that compares aacs version and asks to click a link. Unlike many other things this can't be updated dynamically, updates happen with the program. The newly released 1.17.4 bumps known aacs version to v81 .
And to note, all discs with these AACS versions were supported all the time, it is just this message was still bugging...
That makes sense now, thank you for explaining. Thank you for addressing it in the new update.