can i use decryption engine without ripping or streaming

Everything related to MakeMKV
JustinChase

can i use decryption engine without ripping or streaming

Post by JustinChase »

J River Media Center has recently added Blu Ray as a file type, which means it can read/play directly from a blu ray in the drive, no ripping required.

However, it can't decrypt, so one would need a decryption tool to facilitate this working. everyone reports success with anyDVD HD, but I don't have/want to install this program

I was wondering/hoping there might be a way to use makeMKV's engine to "fix" this requirement.

possible? how?

link to discussion of this ability in J River Media Center
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.p ... #msg426742
setarip_old

Re: can i use decryption engine without ripping or streaming

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

As I understand it, this would require the decrypting tool to be a driver, which MakeMKV is not.

As an alternative, try DVDFab's Passkey...
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

JustinChase wrote:I was wondering/hoping there might be a way to use makeMKV's engine to "fix" this requirement.
possible? how?
This is possible but the author would have to modify his program, to call MakeMKV and get decryption keys. If there is any interest, please PM me.
JustinChase

Post by JustinChase »

That is excellent news Mike, thanks. I have relayed the message to the devs over there, and they have historically been very willing to work with other devs such as yourself on better integration, so I hope they contact you.

thanks again for this GREAT product!
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@mike_admin

Then would you also be able to add a setting for MakeMKV to function as a pure driver, in a manner similar to Passkey and AnyDVD?
JustinChase

Post by JustinChase »

Hi again Mike.

The latest response from the lead dev of Media Center had this to say/suggest. I don't really know much/anything about all this, but it sounds 'easy' :)
If the authors don't want to deal with writing a system driver, I wonder if they might write a Directshow transform filter instead? Transform filters are simple memory-in / memory-out things, and I would think it could just be used between the source filter and LAV Splitter filter.
I suggested he PM you. I know they often work with other devs on integration, and are constantly implementing changes to accommodate things which enhance the media experience, so if you want to reach out to him (Matt at jriver dot c0m), I'm certain he'd like to work on this with you.

thanks again :)
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

I was under the impression that AnyDVD's "driver" model was what makes it Windows-only? Directshow filters are also platform-specific.