Issues with Blue Ray RIp

Everything related to MakeMKV
Yammers

Issues with Blue Ray RIp

Post by Yammers »

Good morning all

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this.

I have been ripping my blue ray James bond collection in MKV and selecting.

a) The largest file
b) Al the audio tracks like 5.1 and DD stereo.

I convert them to H.264 after ripping using a windows program called shutter encoder.

What happens is some one them in what is called multichannel mode ( this should allow you to keep all the audio streams you rip) will convert, and I get full audio. In others I don’t, get any audio whatsoever, other than the soundtrack and sound effects. This is especially happening with no time to die and some of the others.

Yet when I play the MKV file back all sound tracks and actor audio is working fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this.

I would use hand break but its to slow and shutter encoder is quote quick.
dcoke22

Re: Issues with Blue Ray RIp

Post by dcoke22 »

Yammers wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:52 am
I would use hand break but its to slow and shutter encoder is quote quick.
I don't have any experience with 'shutter encoder', but I do know that hardware acceleration probably isn't turned on by default for Handbrake. You probably have to turn it on the video tab. See the hardware encoders section of the Handbrake documentation: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/tec ... ments.html
Yammers

Post by Yammers »

There is only one thing wrong with hand break and that is the selection of formats to encode to is limited. that why i looked for an alternative product.

I have created a google drive folder for those want to take a look

two video files the mkv rip sample video
the converted h.264 sample - not hearing actors speak only sound effects
screen shots of what i selected when ripping the disk.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link
Last edited by Yammers on Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Yammers wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:34 pm
the selection of formats to encode to is limited
(https://i.imgur.com/mXy9J5e.png if the pic doesn't load)

what more do you need?
Yammers

Post by Yammers »

I like the mov format.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

.mov is not a video format, but a container, same as .mp4 or .mkv (.avi was a container as well btw)

The video streams inside today are usually either x264, x265 or VP9 format. The same formats, Handbrake or the mentioned Shutter Encoder use as output codecs.
peterkirkham

Post by peterkirkham »

Yammers wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:34 pm
the converted h.264 sample - not hearing actors speak only sound effects
Are you watching it on a system that supports surround sound? I have come across a similar issue many times when trying to play back the 5.1 soundtrack over a stereo system. You get the left and right channels, and nothing else. For this reason I usually also encode a stereo soundtrack from the 5.1 soundtrack using Handbrake, so if I'm watching a movie without surround sound capability, I can at least choose the stereo soundtrack and hear everything. Just suggesting it might not be a problem with your rip at all, and more a consequence of how you are watching it.

As to one of your other points, handbrake has plenty enough encoding formats. I'm using H.265 for everything and it compresses quite efficiently compared to what was on the disk originally. It also works well with 4K HDR where I encode with H.265 (10-bit). I think the encoding format is far more critical than the container. On my server I have older media files that are H.264 in an .mp4 container from when I started ripping my collection. Most files are now H.265 in an .mkv container. I honestly can't really tell the difference when I'm watching movies over Plex. For me it's not something worth getting hung up over.