Why mkv file naming A or B, followed by number

Everything related to MakeMKV
dvdfan

Why mkv file naming A or B, followed by number

Post by dvdfan »

Does anyone know why file names are starting with A or B, sometimes followed by number 1 or2?
Something to acknowledge about?
I have been searching answer for hours already but no luck.
Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Why mkv file naming A or B, followed by number

Post by Woodstock »

In what program?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dvdfan

Post by dvdfan »

MakeMkvBeta 1.17.3 win x64 release.
Saved MKV files start with A or B followed by number.
Probably some indication of source properties?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Generally speaking, default filename handling will end in "_tXX.mkv", which the "tXX" being a count up from zero. What comes in front of the underscore will be file information determined from the disk, which would be weird to be sequential... with normal ripping (no insertion of a filename), that part will be identical for all titles on the disk. But, you won't see this stuff unless you LOOK at the file name; MakeMKV doesn't aggressively show it to you. :)

If you edit the name on the FIRST entry (not an actual track, but the disk "name"), the default is to copy that to all the other tracks. The "_tXX" is found on the filename portion of the track, not normally seen unless you ask for it.

It's kind of hard to explain if you're not playing with it actively, especially with disks for TV series. MakeMKV can do a lot of name manipulation, but new users don't look at any of it, and intermediate users don't look at all of it.
dvdfan

Post by dvdfan »

When ripping my music DVD to mkv files result is somehow confusing.
It feels like this naming convention is a message to me which I don't understand.

A1_t00.mkv
A1_t01.mkv
A1_t02.mkv
A1_t03.mkv

or other disk

B1_t00.mkv
B1_t01.mkv
B1_t02.mkv

I believe there has also been mixed results from same DVD -> A1 and A2, A and B1 etc.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The problem is that it changes from disk to disk. For example, I've got "Horimiya" DVD set in front of me, and MakeMKV picks up a lot of information from these. By default, it fills in the properties for "Name" of the disk as "Horimiya_D1", but the data track has no name associated with it. If I type in "Horimiya HD01-07", the FILENAME properties change to include that, and the "_t00.mkv" automated part.

Some disks will already have a name set on the tracks. Others, will have nothing. If I don't type anything in on this disk, it will rip "title_t00.mkv" as the file name. Your disk has "A1" somewhere in a name field on one disk, "B1" somewhere on the other. If you change the properties Name field, it will (default) to changing any track on the disk to include that file name, IF you haven't modified it to something else.

Music disks are not that different from video disks, really. It is something you can play with (a wonderful thing, actually) to validate what's happening. It gets weirder when you talk about Bluray disks, because they have more places to hide names. The BD from this same set comes up with a disk name, and names for each track on the disk. All of them are "Horimiya D1", but that's this disk set.

Mayhaps the important thing to remember is that MakeMKV will initially set itself up that each track has a unique filename. It might not be what you want to start with, but it's at least unique.
Sunoo

Post by Sunoo »

It's basically assigning all the DVD menu options an identifier. The letter is which "page" of the menu it's on, and the number is which option on the page it selected. Note that the number displayed might not match the actual order shown on screen.
dvdfan

Post by dvdfan »

Thanks.
Since I have seen so far only A and B plus numbers 1 or 2 I couldn't figure out the meaning of this naming convention.
So nothing to worry about.

I don't like DVD menus.
I just extract music dvd main parts into mkv files from without DVD extras.
Then I rename mkv by artist + DVD name and copy mkv tracks to USB stick for easy watching.