Best method converting to mp4 with subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
atsushi

Best method converting to mp4 with subtitles

Post by atsushi »

This isn't a direct question about MakeMKV but I was hoping other users might be able to answer my question. So I usually only use MakeMKV to backup my collection of anime. For dub it's simply using MakeMKV then using handbrake. I know that handbrake has a feature to add subtitle files but I really don't understand why I would do that when the mkv rip has already the necessary subtitle files but don't in the subtitle file format. The method that I came up with was using freemake software to convert my Anime MKV's to mp4 using freemake since it allows me to add the blu-ray subtitles easily. The problem that it's such a tedious method. Does anyone else have a easier method to convert to mp4 while also adding subtitles from the blu-rays?
Woodstock

Re: Best method converting to mp4 with subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

If you MUST convert to MP4, handbrake is pretty good at that, and it will render PGS subtitles as well as anything.

An MKV file can use the PGS subtitles in a file, but that's a separate issue from MP4 comparability. MP4 can only have a couple of types of TEXT based subtitles, and optionally VOB-type (DVD type) graphically subtitles. Anything else has to be burned in. Handbrake will do that; Not sure what other converters will.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Bluraymonster

Re: Best method converting to mp4 with subtitles

Post by Bluraymonster »

Hello there is a program called Box4 movie re-packager this will change the mkv file into mp4 and you can also convert the audio as well here is the link if you wish to try it regards bluraymonster ps it works on dvds and blurays and uhds