"Failed to install CdRom Device Arbiter service"

Everything related to MakeMKV
bentobox34

"Failed to install CdRom Device Arbiter service"

Post by bentobox34 »

When installing, at the end of the process I get the error message above. After, MakeMKV does not run.

This is probably the 6th or 7th device I've installed MakeMKV on and I've never seen this error before. I didn't see this directly addressed in the forums or on google. Help?
TrevorK

Re: "Failed to install CdRom Device Arbiter service"

Post by TrevorK »

I installed MakeMKV for the very first time yesterday and received "Failed to install CdRom Device Arbiter Service".
I note I have a fast and powerful recently built Windows 11 desktop pc so hardware is good.
MakeMKV runs ok and I made several attempts to copy Blu-ray movies. One I produced with menus using Pinnacle Studio, others were commercial movies.
All appears to work however menus got stripped out, and the movies stops after just after a minutes and the quality of the video played stutters in places,
I commercial movie produced 12 titles - not a good result.
So I joined this forum hoping to find answers, but not so far. Will keep looking.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

For what it's worth: same here.

I suspect version 1.17.0's installer contains a bug, where some part of the installation process *assumes* you have enabled/checked (during installation) the "CdRom Device Arbiter service".

I explicitly *uncheck* this option during installation (and always have; I've never found a need for it (program functions fine on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit without it), and I was unable to find clear documentation on what it does anyway. I just know I do not need another service running somewhere that is enumerating devices or fooling around with stuff behind the scenes.)

I've never seen this error dialog up until now.
redwine

Post by redwine »

Hi,

Encounter the same "Failed to install CdRom Device Arbiter Service" twice when i try to install v1.17.

On my 3rd attempts , no error occur during installation.
But when i start the application, encounter makemkvcon64.exe crashed.

Using Win7 SP1 x64.

Rgds
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Problem still exists as of 1.17.1.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This is a harmless bug in 1.17.0 and 1.17.1 . Program outputs this message when one chooses NOT to install WinCdArb service. The installer runs a certain script that fails and gives this error message. In this case the script does effectively nothing.

I was unable to find clear documentation on what it does anyway. I just know I do not need another service running somewhere that is enumerating devices or fooling around with stuff behind the scenes.)
Here is what it does - https://www.makemkv.com/wincdarb/
leosantare

Post by leosantare »

I just went to install the current makemkv version today with the the cdrom device arbiter checked, and it failed to install the cdrom device arbiter?
leosantare

Post by leosantare »

Is there a way in install a previous version of makeMKV without this issue, or do I have to wait until a new version is released?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

leosantare wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:34 pm
Is there a way in install a previous version of makeMKV without this issue, or do I have to wait until a new version is released?
This is a wrong installer message. Message only. The action (to install or not to install) is always performed correctly, only a wrong error message pops up. Just click OK and forget about it.