Newbie question about MKV and Dolby Vision playback

Everything related to MakeMKV
ben_uk

Newbie question about MKV and Dolby Vision playback

Post by ben_uk »

Hi,

I don’t know a great deal about Dolby Vision and MKV files however I was told that it’s possible for MKV files to retain Dolby Vision functionality? Can I just ask, is anything specific required from the user end to ensure that files are created with this layer intact?

Thanks so much,

Ben.
dcoke22

Re: Newbie question about MKV and Dolby Vision playback

Post by dcoke22 »

The most recent versions of MakeMKV will retain this information by default in the resulting .mkv file. That you have any devices that can play it back is another matter.

If you rip a UHD and examine the resulting .mkv with a program like MediaInfo, you should see something that looks like the following:

Code: Select all

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
The exact details of the HDR format line will change according to whatever HDR format your UHD has. The example above shows a profile 7 Dolby Vision title that's HDR10+ compatible.
awdspyder

Re: Newbie question about MKV and Dolby Vision playback

Post by awdspyder »

As mentioned, just ripping the video track with the latest version of MakeMKV will retain the DV metadata. I strongly recommend the Nvidia Shield Pro (not the "tube") as a playback device for DV MKVs. I'm using Emby to serve up the media, but Plex should work as well.