How to change MakeMKV drive order

Everything related to MakeMKV
TheCrazyCanuck

How to change MakeMKV drive order

#1 Post by TheCrazyCanuck » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:28 am

I've made some changes to my computer including changing the windows drive order. Everything changed to use the same ordering except makemkv. So does anyone know how to modify the drive order in the pulldown box where you choose which drive to rip from? I figured the order was set locally in the makemkv program directory but I didn't find anything that was plain text that displayed my drives so I'm guessing it's stored in the registry somewhere. I have four drive bays and what I'm trying to do is get makemkv list them in the same order they are physically installed in the case from top to bottom just like the Windows file explorer and PowerDVD already are doing.

Woodstock

Re: How to change MakeMKV drive order

#2 Post by Woodstock » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:55 pm

MakeMKV asks the operating system to list the available optical drives. The order the OS returns them is the order that MakeMKV uses for display.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

TheCrazyCanuck

#3 Post by TheCrazyCanuck » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:07 pm

That order must be decoupled from the drive letters then since explorer and PowerDVD list them alphabetically by drive letter. I'm going to probably need to reverse the SATA cabled and swap their drive letters to get everything matched up.

Woodstock

#4 Post by Woodstock » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:45 pm

MakeMKV operates on a lower level than "drive letters" when talking to the optical drives. My machine with (currently) dual drives enumerates them in the order they were originally introduced to Windows, so "E" is the older drive, and "D" is the newest (non-USB) drive. If I plug in any of the USB drives, they show up in the order I originally added them, regardless when I plug them in later.

Having some way of enumerating them in the program is a fairly popular request.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

dcoke22

#5 Post by dcoke22 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:03 am

The two drives I use on my Mac are external USB connected drives. They appear in MakeMKV in the order I turn them on (they're in cases with their own power supplies).