MakeMKV 4K/Bluray rips and Plex aspect ratio

Everything related to MakeMKV
lufc001

MakeMKV 4K/Bluray rips and Plex aspect ratio

Post by lufc001 »

I'm not sure if this is an MakeMKV issue but I am finding that the MKV's I am ripping are recording all as 1.78 aspect ratio once they are imported into Plex despite the fact they are 2.35.

Plex is just reading the video information so I dont think this is a Plex issue. I've downloaded MKVToolnix and tried changing the video dimensions but then I find it distorts the image.

Has anyone seen this before and is there any way to change this in MakeMKV? The reason for this is I am looking at utilising specific lens memories on my projector depending on the aspect ratio.
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV 4K/Bluray rips and Plex aspect ratio

Post by Woodstock »

On a BD, the aspect ratio is 16:9 or 1.78. Anything else is done through letterboxing, which is part of the picture. So Plex is right that the MKV is 1.78.

If you want to change that, you would need to re-encode the video to strip off the letterbox. With regular 1920x1080, tools like handbrake work fine. Throw in HDR, HDR+, and DV, things get tougher.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
lufc001

Re: MakeMKV 4K/Bluray rips and Plex aspect ratio

Post by lufc001 »

Right that makes sense. Certainly isn't worth the time and effort for that. It's way easier to just add a label to the media in Plex