Specify maximum title length?

Everything related to MakeMKV
foxripper

Specify maximum title length?

Post by foxripper »

I did not see via the command line any options to limit the maximum length of a title. Seems counter-intuitive, but in certain cases it makes sense.

I have a DVD with older TV episodes on it. Each is roughly 20-35 minutes in length, and there is a distinct title for each. There are additional titles that are as long as the sum of all the other shorter titles (length in minutes and in number of chapters). I suspect this is the "Play all episodes". Including this title would rip the same information, but as one single file, rather than broken up per episode.

See titles #2 and #3 below:

Code: Select all

Title #1 has length of 21 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 was added (17 cell(s), 2:24:58)
Title #3 was added (17 cell(s), 2:24:58)
Title #4 was added (3 cell(s), 0:24:13)
Title #5 was added (3 cell(s), 0:24:12)
Title #6 was added (3 cell(s), 0:24:12)
Title #7 was added (3 cell(s), 0:24:06)
Title #8 was added (3 cell(s), 0:24:13)
Title #9 was added (2 cell(s), 0:24:02)
Is there a way to avoid titles longer than some specified minutes? There are many discs I own like this and I would greatly prefer to provide this parameter.
Last edited by foxripper on Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Specify maximum title length?

Post by Woodstock »

Not the first time this has been requested. Mike has (so far) not responded to the idea, positively or negatively.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
foxripper

Post by foxripper »

I couldn't determine if MakeMKV is open-source... if so, I'd be happy to implement that myself and push a merge request.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV has open source components and proprietary components. In the Linux version, they're separate, but the Mac and Windows versions are only distributed in binary.

It may be possible to script the command line portion to implement it; I an no expert on MakeMKV's CLI, though.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
foxripper

Post by foxripper »

I can script other aspects, such as opening the tray when done:

Code: Select all

diskutil eject /dev/disk4
But manipulating the title selection seems to have little customization other than via the GUI [1]

The only other options are potentially binary editing, but if the source code were open, I'd love to contribute. At least to the command-line utilities. Those could easily be made more powerful and customizable (and allow alternative GUIs to be implemented on top!).

[1] https://makemkv.com/developers/usage.txt