General audio stuttering with Ponyo (GKIDS)

Everything related to MakeMKV
sephirothkefka

General audio stuttering with Ponyo (GKIDS)

Post by sephirothkefka »

I was ripping Ponyo earlier and I noticed that during the blackout of the opening credits as it transitions back to the movie (~5 minutes) the audio stutters very briefly for both Japanese and English on both angles and both the DTS-MA and vanilla DTS tracks (I did not try the French DD track however). This is what the log says:
AV synchronization issues were found in file 'E://Ponyo_t01.mkv' (title #2)
AV sync issue in stream 1,2 at 0:05:53.019 with duration of 4.666ms : encountered overlapping frame, audio skew is +4.666ms
AV sync issue in stream 1,2 at 0:28:14.025 with duration of 7ms : encountered overlapping frame, audio skew is +11.666ms
AV sync issue in stream 1,2 at 0:28:14.037 with duration of 10.666ms : 1 frame(s) dropped to reduce audio skew to +1ms
AV sync issue in stream 1,2 at 0:29:16.296 with duration of 1.458ms : encountered overlapping frame, audio skew is +2.458ms
AV sync issue in stream 1,2 at 1:39:13.781 with duration of 8.375ms : encountered overlapping frame, audio skew is +10.833ms
AV sync issue in stream 1,2 at 1:39:13.792 with duration of 10.666ms : 1 frame(s) dropped to reduce audio skew to +0.166ms
AV sync issue in stream 4 at 0:00:00 : Forced subtitles track #4 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file

Anyone have an idea as to what's going on? I checked some of my other GKIDS Ghibli rips and they seem to be all good for the most part as they also use 2 angles for the Japanese and English dub for the film. I even compared with HBO Max for good measure as well (which is English only) and there was nothing out of the ordinary there.
dcoke22

Re: General audio stuttering with Ponyo (GKIDS)

Post by dcoke22 »

Sometimes audio stuttering is player related. What player are you using? What happens if you try a different player?

Those messages in the log are normal and stem from the seamless branching used on the disc. Often the audio at the end of one segment doesn't line up with the audio at the beginning of the next segment and MakeMKV has to compensate for that when ripping the disc.
sephirothkefka

Re: General audio stuttering with Ponyo (GKIDS)

Post by sephirothkefka »

I'll have to verify if it happens in BD player software/hardware but its the actual MKV that's affected. When I watched the movie a few days ago I didn't appear to notice anything on my UB820 but I'll definitely double check.

EDIT: Just learned the Blu-ray itself has the issue. Cleaning the disc did not resolve the issue at all and both VLC and my UB820 reproduced the error. I purchased a steelbook copy of the film recently but it hasn't shipped quite yet and in addition I highly doubt they changed a thing. The DVD works just fine (though on VLC there was a bit of a pop during the title swap).