FEATURE REQUEST: setFirstVideoTrackAsDefault

Everything related to MakeMKV
Speednet

FEATURE REQUEST: setFirstVideoTrackAsDefault

Post by Speednet »

I'm a huge fan of MakeMKV, and I really like how the profile can be customized to automatically select just about anything.

One feature I'd love to see as part of the [profile].mmcp.xml file is the ability to set setFirstVideoTrackAsDefault="true" in the mkvSettings section. Right now I need to manually set the MKV Flags to "d" for the video track. It would be great if I could have that set automatically every time.
Chetwood

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: setFirstVideoTrackAsDefault

Post by Chetwood »

I don't need to set it manually cause so far I haven't seen any player that wouldn't play it back. Apparently that's the Matroska default setting for the first video track found in the file.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Speednet

Post by Speednet »

Chetwood wrote:I don't need to set it manually cause so far I haven't seen any player that wouldn't play it back. Apparently that's the Matroska default setting for the first video track found in the file.
Believe it or not, some people actually try to tag MKV files perfectly.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Chetwood wrote:I don't need to set it manually cause so far I haven't seen any player that wouldn't play it back. Apparently that's the Matroska default setting for the first video track found in the file.
http://matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html
https://trac.bunkus.org/wiki/FAQ%3ADefa ... YesNoInMMG

The MKVMerge default is to set the first Video Track to default if taken from a non-Matroska container, the Matroska "default" is to set any track to default unless told otherwise. If you fail to set any Subtitle track as default then on playback the player is supposed to NOT show any subtitle tracks at all. I haven't scoured the Matroska specs all that thoroughly but I don't recall any mention of different rules for video tracks. My batch files automatically set the first video track to default, they have done for as long as I can remember.

Matroska is still in it's early stages, just because all players are treating files a certain way now doesn't mean they're supposed to. No player is supposed to take any notice of what's in the VFR/CFR field in a video stream header, yet they all do nonetheless.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Speednet wrote:Believe it or not, some people actually try to tag MKV files perfectly.
All the power to them. Still doesn't mean, Mike will have the time to implement this since apparently all players so far can do fine without.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

The fact that MKVMerge does specifically set the first video track as default most likely means that you're supposed to, and MakeMKV definitely sets the video default flag to 'false'.

I can see possible instances where the only available video track is nothing more than a gimmick attached to the main audio track and therefore shouldn't be displayed without user intervention.

To be honest, I don't think a setting in the Profile is appropriate, considering how MakeMKV works and the kind of files it produces setting the video track as default should be mandatory, which would require nothing more than replacing the word 'false' in the source code with the word 'true'.

Until the Matroska specs are finalised and "proper" Matroska players start popping up it's all academic though.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Joined the forum specifically to re-up this request!

I already have...

Code: Select all

setFirstVideoTrackAsDefault="true"
...in my profile but it still doesn't actually do anything.

This is a really big PITA for me as I need to go through and set the "Default" tag on every "first" video file in every title of every disc I rip.

Yes, I've read the above and I know you don't have to set this flag but I always have (and likely always will), whether it be during the initial rip or afterward when muxing the files.

I know others don't bother doing this but I like to have all my MKV flags set properly.

My question is, what would it hurt to have this option available? You could set it to false by default if you like, just give me the option to choose.

Is there any chance you could add support for this feature?

Thanks!
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Just downloaded the new version (with my fingers crossed) but I was disappointed not to see this feature working yet.

I note that this thread has over 4,100 views, so there must be some interest in this feature, if that counts for anything.

This would make my life soooooo much easier... pretty please?!

P.S. Is this thread even in the correct sub-forum for a feature request?
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Another program update and still this option (when added to a custom profile) has no effect.

This thread now has almost 5,600 views, surely that must count for something? People are obviously searching out this feature.

Is there any reason this can't (or shouldn't) be done?? Is this forum even read by the developers? Or should I email someone with this feature request instead?
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:46 am

This thread now has almost 5,600 views, surely that must count for something? People are obviously searching out this feature.
Just because people read the thread doesn't mean that they want the feature. I read it out of curiosity. I would say that the gauge of if people want the feature is if they post saying I'd also like to see this

I see in this thread a grand total of 2 people actually asking for it. That's .03 percent of the people.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

The title of this thread is pretty specific, I wouldn't think too many people would be reading the replies simply out of curiosity. But yeah, I encourage anyone interested to post a comment to that effect.

This feature will become needed when/if we ever get to rip the additional PiP video tracks as discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22292

At the moment MakeMKV doesn't even acknowledge that these additional video tracks exist (it doesn't display them in either the .mpls or .m2ts files) but if we do ever get that feature added then there will obviously be a need to identify which video track is the default (IOW, automatically 'default' the video track with the lowest order weight).