Any way to strip Dolby Vision and just mux HDR10?

Everything related to MakeMKV
mattias83

Any way to strip Dolby Vision and just mux HDR10?

Post by mattias83 »

My TV handles Dolby Vision poorly, and my Dune player insists on playing Dolby Vision if it sees it in the file. There's no way to select HDR10. So the only way around that would be if I could create mkvs without Dolby Vision and only include HDR10. But I see no option to do that with makemkv. It just automatically remuxes both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

Is there a way to strip the Dolby Vision out of the mkv afterwards and just leave HDR10, using another tool like mkvtoolnix/mkvmerge?
Rob9000

Re: Any way to strip Dolby Vision and just mux HDR10?

Post by Rob9000 »

Yes but it's a PITA. You need to demux the ripped MKV using TSMuxer to extract the HEVC stream then use Yusesope's tool to demux the HEVC file into the BL (HDR10) and EL (DV) streams. You then need to use MKVToolnix to mux the BL file back into the original MKV. You can then use StaxRip or Handbrake to re-encode to smaller file size if you want.

It would be much better if MakeMKV gave us a choice to discard the DV (EL) layer and just produce a HDR10 compatible file.
mattias83

Post by mattias83 »

Yeah, I just learned a couple days ago about dovi_tool, and it's definitely a PITA. Lots of extra time and effort and HDD space needed to work.

I really hope MakeMKV adds an option to strip out the DV and just leave HDR10. It would make things so much easier. Not everyone wants DV in their rips. Media players have a real hard time with DV and many TVs do too.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Could you use an older version of MakeMKV? I think support for Dolby Vision was added in the 1.15.2 (or thereabouts). If you download and use 1.15.1 (for instance), does it do what you want?
mattias83

Post by mattias83 »

You can't use older versions because the keys are invalid, without setting your date back on your PC and risking messing some things up that rely on the date.

But if older versions do what I want, then there's no reason why newer versions couldn't add that option back in.
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

There is another way. One of the perks of a paid, permanent registration is that you can run old versions without any clock adjustments.
eladkse

Post by eladkse »

I have asked previously in the main DV thread to make the layer optional, but it kept getting buried by other users being (understandably) enthusiastic about the new DV functionality.

+1 from me - I don't have a DV screen, so I have neither need nor want for DV on my rips. It's just takes up extra space and causes compatibility issues with some of my players.

Using an older version of MakeMKV works... but that isn't a solution. It's over a year old and there's been numerous bug fixes since then. it also isn't available for ARM, since that was a recent addition.
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

I could really do with this functionality - the option to select whether or not to keep DV.