Where is the new drive speed option?

Everything related to MakeMKV
viperphish

Re: Where is the new drive speed option?

Post by viperphish »

Howdy!

I just tried this on Windows (WH16NS60 1.02) with `0=99` on some DVDs. Wow! Fast (~14x) :D

However, I did notice that on some discs about ~halfway through (layer change?) rapidly print a bunch of errors about being unable to read at offset X. I also had one disc where this happened and then the drive spun up REALLY fast where I had to power the drive off manually... Fastest I've ever heard the drive! There are some circular scratches on the edge of the disc now :lol: (I'm not too fussed about it, I figured this is a very experimental feature and I was right :)).

Setting the registry key back to normal lets the (non-damaged) discs read normally.

Just figured I'd share so folks try this on non-precious discs first :)
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

viperphish wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:43 am
I also had one disc where this happened and then the drive spun up REALLY fast where I had to power the drive off manually... Fastest I've ever heard the drive! There are some circular scratches on the edge of the disc now
What media was that? BD/DVD/UHD and how many layers?

Also, note to everyone - if something like this ever happens, please save the log file, it should have a history of speed commands.
flash_and_burn

Post by flash_and_burn »

Cheers all, just got my MW-16D1HT flashed to MK3.10 and thrilled to see it rip a UHD.

I seem to be missing the drive speed registry key. I originally had a drive speed key for my Samsung SE-506BB which bricked during a firmware update, but not for the Asus. I tried deleting the Samsung drive speed key but no new key has appeared for the Asus drive. Tried removing and reinstalling software but still no joy.

Any ideas?
flash_and_burn

Post by flash_and_burn »

A reboot made this key re-appear. Set it to 0=99 and my LibreDrive flashed Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10 switched to wood router mode and promptly ripped a CSS DVD at eleventynine X (speed range was actually 8x to 14x due to CAV). 4:53 to rip 5GB.

Well done MakeMKV team.
Wolf359

Post by Wolf359 »

Do you have plans to add this to the GUI in the future?