I created a site to help people know what titles to rip from discs

Everything related to MakeMKV
lfoust

I created a site to help people know what titles to rip from discs

Post by lfoust »

I have been using makemkv for many years and have ripped thousands of movies and shows over the years. I have always wished there was a database or a service which can tell you what each track on the disc contains so you can decide what to rip. I constantly see questions about this here and people are generally very helpful but I think it would be great to centralize the answers to these questions.

So I created TheDiscDb. It is very early stages and I have only been able to put up a handful of titles from my own collection but hopefully it can grow over time. Adding new titles is a very time consuming process but much more worth it if everyone can benefit from that effort.

I am especially proud of some of the TV series sets I have documents (Like Recue Me, The Shield, Ken Burns Country Music) as these were a ton of work.

Once you navigate to a disc (example) you can see which titles have useful content in them and what each one is.

What do you think? Does this seem like something useful to this community?
preserve

Re: I created a site to help people know what titles to rip from discs

Post by preserve »

The site isn’t loading for me on mobile... it just says “An unhandled error has occurred.”

I thought of a similar idea using a site I had actually already setup, but never got around to it... was thinking of posting the BDinfo and also various key info that could be related to MakeMKV and playlists that you mention, but also other random info that I find useful from other sites, such as if I know there are any problems with the disc, unique comparisons to different versions, etc.

I’m always on a quest for the best disc and to me that is one of the main things missing from one of the best sources Blu-ray.com, too often the official reviews miss things, and the threads are too long with the first posts not kept up to date... and sadly too many errors or missing info on the database release pages for the releases I’m interested in. I also find myself frequenting other sites such as Digital Bits less than I used to because I just don’t have the time. The more key info in one place the better, and mostly Blu-ray.com has filled that need for me. Generally I figure out playlists myself without trouble except for the obfuscated ones.

So yes, I think certainly any type of site with info about physical media would always draw interest, at least as an additional source of info if someone already relies primarily on other sites.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
preserve

Post by preserve »

So I was able to load your site on a desktop.

I would suggest including the country of release for each title. I would suggest including the UPC/EAN as well, because there can be multiple different releases in each country. I'm in North America and I import a lot of non-NA discs, and of course you will have non-NA visitors to the site as well.

Some discs are of course the same in different countries, but some aren't. And even if the playlist is the same (as some, like Disney, follow numbering conventions), the specs may be different.

And a small suggestion, to wrap the text in the segment map box in order to always see all columns on the screen at once.

Also, the Home bar looks more like a search bar. Would love to just type into that bar and filter the list.

Otherwise, I like that it's a clean, uncluttered, modern site.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Why does Javascript have to be enabled to even load the landing page?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
lfoust

Post by lfoust »

Chetwood wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:12 am
Why does Javascript have to be enabled to even load the landing page?
The site relies on javascript to load code via WASM - so it is completely reliant on javascript being enabled. Do you run with javascript disabled? Do many sites work like this?
lfoust

Post by lfoust »

preserve wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:14 am
I would suggest including the country of release for each title. I would suggest including the UPC/EAN as well, because there can be multiple different releases in each country. I'm in North America and I import a lot of non-NA discs, and of course you will have non-NA visitors to the site as well.
Yes, good point. I do have UPC and region in the data but I am currently not displaying it. Also, I will likely include in in the url too. I appreciate the feedback.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Using WebAssembly will give a number of people pause, in and of itself. The security-inclined among us have it disabled. It does NOT have a good reputation.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
preserve

Post by preserve »

lfoust wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:15 pm
Adding new titles is a very time consuming process but much more worth it if everyone can benefit from that effort.
That doesn't sound good. I've programmed a number of database sites, and getting the data into the system should be the easiest and fastest part of the process, otherwise you're going to suffer burnout if you want to keep developing the site.

Do you ingest any of the data automatically from MakeMKV? That's what I was planning to do when I thought about it.

Doing so would allow you to automate the process and accept user submissions. I've just started working on a thorough catalog of my collection.

For example,

makemkvcon -r info disc:0 1>"DISC-LABEL-tree.txt"

^ I run this as a batch file that pulls the disc label and outputs a directory scan of the disc as well.
lfoust

Post by lfoust »

That doesn't sound good. I've programmed a number of database sites, and getting the data into the system should be the easiest and fastest part of the process, otherwise you're going to suffer burnout if you want to keep developing the site.
The data is partially automatically captured from the MakeMkv log output - that tells me everything that is on the disc. But the process of identifying what each of the titles on the discs are is a manual process. If I were to target just main movies or episodes, it would be much faster but I have been doing extras and chapter names (where available) as well.

Right now my plan to keep the site growing is to accept user submissions - but I am just not there yet. The balance between keeping the data quality high and ingesting data quickly is definitely a struggle.
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

lfoust, I wanted to contact you privately, but I can't send any DM's as far as I can see. Is there another way for me to contact you?
bolozeso

Post by bolozeso »

lfoust wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:15 pm
I have been using makemkv for many years and have ripped thousands of movies and shows over the years. I have always wished there was a database or a service which can tell you what each track on the disc contains so you can decide what to rip. I constantly see questions about this here and people are generally very helpful but I think it would be great to centralize the answers to these questions.

So I created TheDiscDb. It is very early stages and I have only been able to put up a handful of titles from my own collection but hopefully it can grow over time. Adding new titles is a very time consuming process but much more worth it if everyone can benefit from that effort.

I am especially proud of some of the TV series sets I have documents (Like Recue Me, The Shield, Ken Burns Country Music) as these were a ton of work.

Once you navigate to a disc (example) you can see which titles have useful content in them and what each one is.

What do you think? Does this seem like something useful to this community?
“An unhandled error has occurred.”
lfoust

Post by lfoust »

grasshopper wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:10 pm
lfoust, I wanted to contact you privately, but I can't send any DM's as far as I can see. Is there another way for me to contact you?
I sent you a DM. Let me know if you didn't get it.
lfoust

Post by lfoust »

bolozeso wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 am
“An unhandled error has occurred.”
What page did you see this on? Were you on mobile?
MisterPi

Post by MisterPi »

I remember seeing this when it was first posted and was able to browse the DB. Now (Sept 13, 2021) I just get Loading...

It's up and it would be nice to know how to add data, moving forward.

I think this is an amazingly good idea and hoped it hadn't died and gone away...

Edit: changed from not loading to working...
macinjosh

Post by macinjosh »

Hi there,

I registered just to reply, because I've been looking for something like this for aaaages!

Have you continued to develop it? Do you have any tips or tools for collecting the track info and inserting titles for easy import? Would love to see this take off :)