I am getting an "application version is too old" even though I have a registration key

Everything related to MakeMKV
frankencrank

I am getting an "application version is too old" even though I have a registration key

Post by frankencrank »

What is going on? How to fix?
Woodstock

Re: I am getting an "application version is too old" even though I have a registration key

Post by Woodstock »

Solar flares. They've been a problem the last 48 hours, even knocking out GPS in some areas.

Now, if you're interested in more pertinent answers, how about some information?

What version of MakeMKV? Is your key installed, or is it working with the beta key?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
frankencrank

Re: I am getting an "application version is too old" even though I have a registration key

Post by frankencrank »

I am using 1.16.3 on a Mac mini. Yes, the key is installed. Interestingly, I can solve the problem by rebooting the computer. The problem only seems to arise when I close the program and then try to reopen it.
frankencrank

Post by frankencrank »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:15 pm
Solar flares. They've been a problem the last 48 hours, even knocking out GPS in some areas.

Now, if you're interested in more pertinent answers, how about some information?

What version of MakeMKV? Is your key installed, or is it working with the beta key?
Let me add, My Mac is running Big Sur 11.3.1. I have been using the program for years without any problem. Maybe this is an issue related to this latest update?
AHarris

Beta reg key isn't working anymore

Post by AHarris »

The registration key that is posted on the website is not working for me. I have uninstalled the software and re-installed the latest version, but still no luck. It says the key is expired. Does anyone know when MakeMKV will be available for purchase again? Also, is there an email address to contact the developers? I haven't been able to find one.
Steve001

Post by Steve001 »

I have the same problem as of this morning. Tried various things and tried various registrations. In the end I have uninstalled/installed the latest Windows version

The same error appears: "Temporary key has expired and was removed. Please restart application" Hit OK button and the following popup happens "this application is too old. please download the latest version at .... or enter a registration key to continue using the current version." Hit OK or Register.

Register i can add the key again and it says: "Thank you. Please restart the application for changes to take effect" Once i restart the app then it says "temporary key has expired...." etc.

If i had hit OK instead of register it closes the application. Upon reopening the app i can get to the Help and About section. This says:

makeMKV v1.16.3 [win(x64-release)]
GUI version v1.16.3 [win(x64-release)]
latest version available: 1.16.3

License type: Freeware
Evaluation: Ended
This version expires: Wed Jul 14 2021 [42 day(s)]

Hope someone know what to do.
haggis999

Post by haggis999 »

Steve001 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:38 pm
I have the same problem as of this morning. Tried various things and tried various registrations. In the end I have uninstalled/installed the latest Windows version

The same error appears: "Temporary key has expired and was removed. Please restart application" Hit OK button and the following popup happens "this application is too old. please download the latest version at .... or enter a registration key to continue using the current version." Hit OK or Register.

Register i can add the key again and it says: "Thank you. Please restart the application for changes to take effect" Once i restart the app then it says "temporary key has expired...." etc.

If i had hit OK instead of register it closes the application. Upon reopening the app i can get to the Help and About section. This says:

makeMKV v1.16.3 [win(x64-release)]
GUI version v1.16.3 [win(x64-release)]
latest version available: 1.16.3

License type: Freeware
Evaluation: Ended
This version expires: Wed Jul 14 2021 [42 day(s)]

Hope someone know what to do.
You are not alone. I have exactly the same problem after installing MakeMKV on a new PC.

I can't offer any solution, but I'm hoping to bypass it if I can find a copy of the permanent key I used on my old PC.
haggis999

Post by haggis999 »

d00zah wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:55 pm
Another thread says this one is working now?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
The new key quoted in that link does indeed solve the problem.

The problem would never have arisen if the MakeMKV Buy page (https://www.makemkv.com/buy/) had been updated to quote the correct key!
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

I THINK the beta key page originally read "and is valid until end of June 2021." & was the same as the 'Purchase' page until people started having an issue & Mike(?) fixed it?
haggis999

Post by haggis999 »

d00zah wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:33 pm
I THINK the beta key page originally read "and is valid until end of June 2021." & was the same as the 'Purchase' page until people started having an issue & Mike(?) fixed it?
The link you provided was dated 4 March, so the beta key update on the News and Announcements thread appears to have been out of sync with the Buy page for nearly 3 months.

No doubt it's just a simple oversight. We're all human :)
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

haggis999 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:10 pm
The link you provided was dated 4 March, so the beta key update on the News and Announcements thread appears to have been out of sync with the Buy page for nearly 3 months.
Look again... Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:46 pm is the date/time of the seminal post while the key is updated every ~2 mos., that date/time never changes. Just the key & expiration info.
haggis999 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:10 pm
No doubt it's just a simple oversight. We're all human :)
Indeed. Pretty sure the Purchase page will reflect the correct key soon, but the beta announcement ought to be the 'go to'.
haggis999

Post by haggis999 »

Oops. Perhaps I need new glasses...

However, it's the app that pushes you towards the Buy page when you click on Help/Purchase. I never thought of looking anywhere else for a different version of the Beta key.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

haggis999 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:16 pm
Oops. Perhaps I need new glasses...
You, and me both, brother!

Bear in mind that the note on the purchase page is a stop-gap until Mike gets whatever the issue is with buying permanent keys sorted. The beta announcement has been the 'place to go' for the beta key for 'lo, these many years'. :D Maybe he should have just linked to the beta announcement on the purchase page? It's his show. I'm pretty sure no one anticipated this particular circumstance, tho.

For all who are looking for permanent keys, Alex has been known to offer them (provided by Mike). If you are serious about getting one, shoot him an email. He might still have some?
Last edited by d00zah on Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.