Windows Bld 20H2 and MakeMKV Issues

Everything related to MakeMKV
kptaylor67

Windows Bld 20H2 and MakeMKV Issues

Post by kptaylor67 »

Hey everybody!

I've noticed a lot of recent posts that amount to "I'm suddenly having trouble with MakeMKV. If that's you, and you recently upgraded to Windows ver 20H2, that might very well be your problem. Prior to installing the *feature* update for 20H2, MakeMKV ran perfectly. After the update, MakeMKV began hanging after backing up 256MB - basically, the size of the cache - no matter what disc I tried. I rolled back that feature update, and poof. No more issues.

I hope I'm not duplicating another post out there somewhere, and I'm sure Mike can & will fix this, but just wanted to share my experience in case it was helpful. Hope you're all staying both safe and well out there. Have a great day!
wb1205

Re: Windows Bld 20H2 and MakeMKV Issues

Post by wb1205 »

Uninstalling the Windows update does not appear to resolve the issue on my end. Did you only do the 20H2 update or something else?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Microsoft likes to screw around with permissions on updates, and removing the update won't un-change the restrictions put in place.

Make sure MakeMKV hasn't had its write privileges revoked to your target disk. Microsoft has been locking down access to the root of any partition as part of their "ransomware protection".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
A.RABID.BUFFALO

Post by A.RABID.BUFFALO »

I hope a work around comes soon enough. Thought I had a failing drive, so I got a new drive but am experiencing same issues with the new one that I purchased from a recommended seller. However the drive I thought was failing can make it through a rip of a 2 layer uhd disc but not 3 layer. The new drive can only get about 5 gigs and then fails (have read it reaches the cache limit and fails.) so hopefully some kind of fix comes soon.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Can you post a log?
A.RABID.BUFFALO

Post by A.RABID.BUFFALO »

I can probably take a look and see if there’s a log I can post