Why use MKV vs other video compression

Everything related to MakeMKV
mikelleen

Why use MKV vs other video compression

Post by mikelleen »

Yep a NOOB question, however I did a search for "Why use MKV" on this forum and the search results came back empty.

This must have been discussed here before, so I'll keep searching but if someone could push a link to me I'd appreciate it.

The question is in the title: Why backup my DVD's using MKV instead of other video compression formats?
What are the benefits / draw backs?

I am backing up my DVD's now and using MakeMKV and am looking at a license purchase, but I thought I'd as this question first.

I'm going to keep searching but any help finding a thread or answer to the above would be appreciated.

Also FYI I am backing up my Blu-Rays and DVD to a small Plex server just for my internal usage. So only one or two at the most transcodes running.
I am running a 7.2.4 surround system through a new Denon receiver so Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD, and all the other current audio codecs are supported.
Running a Epson - Home Cinema 4010 4K 3LCD Projector with High Dynamic Range as my main video output device. A couple of regular 4k HDR sets in bedrooms

Thanks!
Mike
Woodstock

Re: Why use MKV vs other video compression

Post by Woodstock »

MKV is a package, not a compression scheme or codec. MakeMKV implements methods to copy the contents of a video disk into that package. As far as the video is concerned, it is an exact copy. Audio can have changes to the codecs done, for compatibility.

MP4 is a package, but with more restrictions on what it can have within it. The video and audio codecs are more limited, and only a few subtitle types are allowed.

Transport streams are packages. These are what you find on Bluray disks.

VOBs are packages. These are what DVDs use.

If you want to use MP4 as the package, you can re-mux (the process of putting things in the package) with tools available, but you will lose subtitles (if your source is a BD), and some audio types will be tossed out. Other tools (like handbrake and ffmpeg) can convert incompatible tracks into compatible tracks.

As for "Why MKV?", the answer is "fewer limits".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Woodstock gave a very good summarized explanation.

Google is also your friend. Searching for terms like “what is MKV”, or “what is video compressions”, or “video compression apps”, or variations thereof will returns tens of thousands of detailed explanations, discussions, and guides on each topic. Use it to further inform yourself and learn where possible as it will be helpful in understanding and answering such common questions.

And since this cannot be iterated enough, MakeMKV is NOT a compression app/tool as advised by Woodstock. A too often misconception for some reason. There is a big difference between just putting video/audio data into a video/audio container (package as worded by Woodstock) and compressing/transcoding/encoding/reenconding those streams. Again, Google is your friend and can help you dive deep into those topics if needed/wanted.
mikelleen

Post by mikelleen »

Cool thanks for the reply.

Any tips on a re-mux tool?

I'm fairly computer literate but new to Plex and backing up.
I am backing up both 4k UHD and standard Blu-Ray and DVD's with good success using MakeMKV.

I don't care about subtitles although if I could keep the base English subtitle that would be cool but not actually necessary.

Really the only reason for thinking along these lines is the obvious space utilization issues.
I'm just using this in my house so I don't transcode to push video outside of my home very often, if at all.
So for standard Blu-Ray and DVD's if I could re-mux to MP4 or other format, and keep the original multi-track surround formatting I'd be OK.
I have read about not even bothering with transcoding 4k UHD, I did try it an my i5 based Nuc home theater server pegged out CPU pretty hard :-)
So I'm thinking about keeping a full MKV for my 4K UHD and do Plex direct, but then for my non 4k stuff maybe muxing down to MP4 to same some drive space.

Anyway been doing a lot of reading lately, good stuff and interesting.

Thanks for the help!
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

If you are already creating MKV files from your media content using MakeMKV, then you are already remuxing by definition.

So, are you looking for alternative apps that may do the same or similar?
mikelleen

Post by mikelleen »

So I have had experience with other media backup tools that will rip to MP4 but typically are problematic or have issues with video - sound sync, etc.

MakeMKV works fantastic for backing up.

So I guess I'm looking for an MKV to MP4 or other compressed format tool.
That allows me to keep the primary audio codecs as I noted earlier.

Frankly I am just thinking out loud here with limited experience.
Again, the point being to maybe save on disk space in my library for non 4k backups.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

HandBrake (https://handbrake.fr) is a popular tool to compress video files to save space.

Personally, I use Don Melton's Video_Transcoding (https://github.com/donmelton/video_transcoding) which uses Handbrake and other tools. If you have a modern GPU and want to use hardware encoding Don Melton's Other_Video_Transcoding project (https://github.com/donmelton/other_video_transcoding) is a good place to start.

You can always use FFmpeg (https://www.ffmpeg.org), which is powerful but has a fairly steep learning curve.
mikelleen

Post by mikelleen »

Cool, thanks that is what I am looking for.

I do have a high end GPU for VR - Oculus Rift-S

So yep, I'll play around with that.

Thanks!